JOB DESCRIPTION – MUSIC DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR
The Buffalo Community Orchestra (BCO) is conducting a search for a Music Director/Conductor to begin in the 2019-2020 Season. Final candidates will be asked to guest conduct BCO during its 2018-2019 Season.
MISSION: Buffalo Community Orchestra’s purpose is to make music, educate instrumentalists, connect with our community, and provide recreational and performance opportunities to area residents.
OVERVIEW: The Buffalo Community Orchestra maintains an orchestra comprised of talented local amateur and professional musicians organized to serve the community by giving musical performances of high quality. The BCO is seeking a Music Director who can recruit and lead local orchestral musicians in the mission of the orchestra and generate a strong engagement with our local audience.
• Minimum master’s degree, or the equivalent in Music Performance and/or Conducting.
• At least five years’ experience leading a full orchestra.
• Background with Music Education a plus.
• Must have proven ability to exercise leadership in developing the total artistic quality of a symphony orchestra.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct weekly rehearsals and all concerts.
• Determine the final repertoire of each season’s programs, after consultation with the
Music Selection Committee and consideration of the recommendations of that
committee and any budgetary constraints.
• Create all rehearsal schedules for the orchestra in cooperation with the general manager.
• Present a pre-concert lecture.
• Assist in development of materials for the web site, Playbill type program (program notes), seasonal brochure or other promotional materials printed or digital.
• Report regularly to the Board of Directors.
• Advise and assist the Board of Directors in seeking financial grants and in other fund raising and promotional activities.
• Represent the BCO at various civic functions and organizations to promote the orchestra.
• Maintain effective communication and work collaboratively with BCO members and staff.
• Demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
• Music Director is an independent contractor.
• This is a salaried part-time position.
• Yearly contract from August 1 to June 30.
• Five concerts per season, rehearsals are Sundays 4:30 to 7:00. Venue is the Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center and the Buffalo Band Shell.
For more information about our orchestra visit our website, www.bcomn.org
Submit letter of interest, resume and references to:
Buffalo Community Orchestra
PO Box 707
Buffalo, MN 55313
Please submit all materials by March 31, 2019