JOB DESCRIPTION – Concertmaster and Principal Second Violin
The Buffalo Community Orchestra (BCO) is conducting a search for a Concertmaster and Principal Second Violin to begin in the 2023-2024 Season.
OVERVIEW: The Buffalo Community Orchestra maintains an orchestra comprised of talented local amateur and professional musicians organized to serve the community by giving musical performances of high quality.
• Minimum bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent in Violin Performance.
• Experience leading a full orchestra.
• Background with Music Education a plus.
• Must have proven ability to exercise leadership in developing the total artistic quality of a symphony orchestra and/or violin section
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate with conductor and other string principals to set bowings and distribute to all section members.
• Attend all scheduled services (rehearsals and performances). Principals are expected to be at rehearsal and ready to play at least five minutes prior to start.
• Responsible for preparing all solo excerpts within the selected repertoire.
• Prepare for all rehearsals by being ready and familiar with music; and lead sectional rehearsals.
• Encourage musical development and orchestral playing skills within the section.
• Be available for pre-concert and post-concert interviews and musical demonstrations
as part of the pre-concert lectures.
• Concertmaster and Principal Second Violin are independent contractors.
• Yearly contract from September 1 to June 30.
• Five concerts per season, rehearsals are Sundays 4:30 to 7:00
• Compensation rates: Concertmaster $125/service; Principal Second Violin $100/service
• Rehearsal and performance venues are held at the Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center and the Buffalo Band Shell.
• Remote Auditions – Please submit an unedited video (in one take) of you performing your solo and all the excerpts. The order of performance is up to you and does not need to reflect the order below. All orchestral excerpts should be performed from the 1st Violin part. If you need electronic copies of the excerpts, please request access by
A movement/section from a concerto of your choice OR a virtuosic solo work of your choice. Your selection should last between 5-10 minutes.
1. Strauss Jr., Overture to Die Fledermaus – Beginning to measure 40
2. Copland, Appalachian Spring (suite for full orchestra) – Rehearsal  to 2 measures after rehearsal 
3. Verdi, Prelude to Act III of La Traviata – Beginning to measure 30
Submit a letter of interest, resume and an unlisted YouTube link of your audition to: Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit all materials by Friday June 30, 2023